Monday, August 12, 2013

Belt and Torch - A Tribute

Eydie Gorme was one of those singers that could sing almost every genre AND sing it masterfully. She was just the best torch singer. Then there was her ability to belt -  really belt out a number without hurting your ears because she was so musical and always elegant. She did pop with humor and breezy flair. She conquered Broadway as only a true Diva could. Her Spanish language recordings are legend. Eydie's partnership with her husband Steve Lawrence was historic. Their pairing was not my favorite use of her talents as I always felt when she performed with Steve, Eydie willingly and annoyingly took a back seat to her husband. Maybe it was the times. Maybe she just loved him so much. But, I'm in the minority, since their duo performances in Vegas and on TV were extremely popular. Anyway, here she is solo -  in all her glory -  torching and belting her way through a great Broadway tune. Notice how focused she is - like a great actress unraveling in her moment of truth. This is the Eydie I like. This is the Eydie I love.
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. the link is not working

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. try it again - I'm having no problem - you don't want to miss this -

      Delete
    2. Saw it and as usual she was amazing...I have always been a fan of hers and I agree with you about the "Steve" years... I much preferred her as a solo artist.

      Delete