Friday, January 3, 2014

Alone Again, Naturally

Neil Diamond in his old age is becoming an interesting cover singer. His choice of songs and his no fuss arrangements would not be out of place in a Brechtian cabaret.  With maturity comes understanding. Diamond brings a melancholy delivery edged with smart regret to his newly recorded material. I never took the time to really listen to the words of "Alone Again, Naturally"  Originally performed by Gilbert O'Sullivan, this song sounded pleasant enough but slight and sing songy. I was never compelled to it. Who knew? This ditty is about despair, loss, suicide and depression set to a happy sounding strummed guitar. What Neil does is add the darkness this song begs and with minimalist execution delivers a rather chilling read. I prefer this cover to the original. Neil Diamond elevates "Alone Again, Naturally" to a song of depth.

                                                  

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE Neil Diamond - my parents took me to see "The Jazz Singer" when I was a toddler, & I've loved him ever since. When my beloved Fiance Davy & I first met, he told me that "Solitary Man" was in his top 5 fans, & he loved the Monkees just cos of the Diamond - well, our like musical tastes brought us together & kept us together. Neil Diamond has been instrumental in healing my past loss, & he is simply AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH - so thanks, Tony, for another excellent blog for FM REWIND!

      Delete
    2. I have just come to appreciate him, Amber. My parents, especially my mother loved Neil.

      Delete